Got something to discuss?
You must be logged in to post a comment.
O.S.C.A. was founded in 1947 by Ernesto Maserati (engineering manager) and his two brothers Ettore, and Bindo (operations managers) who had all left Maserati after their ten-year contract with Adolfo Orsi terminated. Ten years earlier, in 1937, the remaining Maserati brothers had sold their shares in the company to the Orsi family, who, in 1940, had relocated the company headquarters to their hometown of Modena, where it remains to this day.
The O.S.C.A. factory was at San Lazzaro di Savena outside Bologna, where Maserati were originally made 1926 to 1940. Their basic business goal was to develop an automobile to compete in the 1,100 cc racing class.
O.S.C.A.’s first automobile was the MT4, for Maserati Tipo 4 cilindri. The 1,092 cc engine, which produced (72 PS (53 kW; 71 hp) at 6,000 rpm, had a FIAT-derived block, alloy head, and the bodywork was built as a two-seater barchetta. The MT4 first raced in 1948 at the Pescara Circuit and the Grand Prix of Naples, where it was driven to a win by Luigi Villoresi. The engine was modified to 1,342 cc form (with 90 PS (66 kW; 89 hp) at 5,500 rpm) in 1949.
In 1950, a new DOHC (MT4-2AD) raised power to a maximum of 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp) at 6,300 rpm, and in 1953 the engine was enlarged to 1,453 cc, producing 110 PS (81 kW; 108 hp) at 6,200 rpm. The all new tipo 372 DS twin spark engine with 1,491 cc, which produced 120 PS (88 kW; 118 hp) at 6,300 rpm, was later used in the O.S.C.A. MT4 TN (for Tipo Nuovo, “new model”) of 1955. With this new engine, the car received the new name FS 372, of which five were built. One of these belongs to
Sir Stirling Moss, who still races it in historic races across the globe. Versions of this engine went on to be used in coupé and convertible models of regular Fiats from 1959 to 1966.
These automobiles were mainly barchettas, but a few were built with more luxurious berlinetta bodies by Pietro Frua, Michelotti, and Vignale. A Vignale bodied MT4 was run in the 1,500 cc class at the 1953 24 Hours of Le Mans.
From 1951 to 1962, automobiles or engines made by O.S.C.A. also were entered in some Formula One and Formula Two events although they mainly built small sports cars of which some were designed by Pietro Frua. In the World Sportscar Championship OSCA ranked 10th (1953), 4th (1954), 6th (1957), 5th (1958) and 4th (1961).
This particular model is a rare 1953 O.S.C.A. Barchetta – ATL.
It is an all aluminium body with the 1500cc OSCA engine
It rolls on alloy wheels, etc…
It is possible to race this in FIA vintage races.
Car is located in Belgium with our European partner.